DILIA as a Colletive management organisation (CMO)
DILIA performs collective rights management mainly for holders of rights to literary, scientific, audiovisual and audiovisually used works.
Mandatory collective management
DILIA administrates authors’ property rights to the following rights that are subject to mandatory collective management:
- right to private copying remuneration
- right to use of work through cable retransmission
- right to appropriate remuneration for renting a work
- right to remuneration for lending a work in public libraries and education institutions
This concerns rights that can be enforced only through a CMO. Thus it is not possible to grant the permission to anyone else. In the Czech Republic DILIA has an exclusive right to collect the remuneration in connection with the use of literary, scientific, audiovisual and audiovisually used works.
Voluntary collective management
Voluntary collective management concerns representing copyright holders beyond the above-mentioned mandatory rights. DILIA performs this solely on the basis of contracts with copyright holders. On behalf of represented copyright holders, DILIA concludes collective licensing agreement with users and collects royalties that are subsequently paid to copyright holders.
Rights that are performed by DILIA in the scope of voluntary collective management are listed below:
- right to radio broadcasting of works
- right to the communication of TV/radio broadcasting
- public reading it libraries
- digital document delivery
- right to lending audio or audiovisual recordings of a work
It is necessary to distinguish between DILIA’s activities where DILIA acts as a CMO and as an agency. If authors are represented by the agency part of DILIA, the authors decide directly, on a case-by-case basis about the conditions of use of his works including the amount of royalties. On the basis of an agency agreement DILIA represents the copyright holders and within the scope of authorization negotiates licensing terms and collects royalties from users. The scope of representation by the Agency part of DILIA is thus not limited to rights administrated by DILIA as a CMO, but is a result of an agreement between DILIA and a particular author.. If you are interested in this kind of representation, please contact the relevant department of the agency.
Distribution of remuneration
With respect to the accuracy of identification, remuneration collected by DILIA in the scope of collective rights management can be divided into two groups:
- Title specific remuneration where DILIA knows for what use of a specific the royalties were collected. Royalties belong to concrete copyright holders. This includes e.g. radio broadcasting, public reading in libraries etc.
- Title non-specific remuneration is used where DILIA assigns the remuneration to the use of specific works. These royalties are distributed once a year (until June 30 of the following year) according to the Distribution Rules of DILIA. This is applied especially in case of so-called fair remuneration collected in the scope of collective rights management.
The rules of distribution of remuneration are stipulated in the Distribution Rules of DILIA that is approved by DILIA members at the annual general meeting.
The list of foreign partners who have concluded reciprocal contracts with DILIA can be found here.
+420 266 199 843